Featured post

Who's manifesto is it anyway?

In the autumn, the People's Manifesto for Wildlife went off with a barley audible pop that was more like a wet bubble bursting that...

Monday 14 May 2018

Great trees, Cistercians and the Blackwater Valley

I lived in Eire from 1990 to 1993, I have not been back to Eire since I visited Co. Clare in 1996. So when an old school friend invited me over I put up very little resistance. Springtime in Ireland is special.

Kathy lives with her family in Co. Waterford, within sight of the Knockmealdown Mountains. On my first day with them I explored the area with her youngest, Daniel.


Kathy's family had, in previous centuries, been significant land owners in this part of Ireland and the nearby Cistercian Abbey now occupies what had been one of the family homes. The drive curves down from the road, finally revealing the church and abbey against the backdrop of the wooded Blackwater valley. Of course, what caught my eye immediately was the great tree in front of the building! When I got up to it, I did not know (and am still unsure) of the species. It is a truly remarkable tree. Great height coupled with the expansive open-grown form gives the tree a symmetrical beauty and majesty from its sheer size that makes you stop and stare.


The hour-glass trunk makes it difficult to measure, but at 1.5 metres off the ground (where we would usually measure the girth of a veteran tree) it is over 7 metres in circumference.

As I looked around, I could see several other great trees: copper beech, Scots pine, common beech and of course Irish (or Western) oak.




The views down the Blackwater Valley are fantastic. Daniel and I went on down to explore the river, finding more lovely old oaks in the flood meadows.

A pollard oak, sadly misused by management and cattle.
Daniel was reluctant to become a tree hugger at first, but soon got the hang of it!
The River Blackwater itself is a strong lowland river as it winds through the broad valley, drawing waters from the mountains and rolling farmland on either side. Daniel and I searched for signs of otters, found none but we did find where the deer had been swimming the river and scrambling out.


Our feet got soggy in the long valley grass as we tramped back towards the Abbey. Climbing up through the woods, we had a look into some interesting burrows amidst the bluebells and wild garlic.





No comments:

Post a Comment